Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Reflections: Visiting Antaiji — Back in the US

I haven’t been in the States for a day yet, but I know I still have a lot to share about my visit and maybe I’ll get around to it. In the meantime, here are a few immediate impressions and reactions:

1. There is a lot to do, but nobody telling me what to do. (So I don’t know what to do – right this minute anyway. I’m pretty sure that will change though.)
2. I own a lot of things but the only things I really need are still packed. (Where is my toothbrush?).
3. The house has been professionally cleaned.
4. Now that I’ve stood on a scale I’m familiar with (I check in about as often as I check my horoscope, i.e. not often), I can say that, yes, Antaiji also is a bit of a weight-loss program.
5. I can get more than one note in a row out of my Shakuhachi, but can’t play a full scale.
6. The birds sound different. (But I still have the same song bouncing around in my head. At least today it’s a distorted electric guitar.)
7. There are toilet seats! I admit I never got used to floor toilets. Its nice to sit.
8. Retreats may be the most difficult battles.
9. It still is nice to sit.

No comments: